Subject Source: SssScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 233 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note about the quarry at Phrènphort that it is where the stones for the castle were from. Also notes that the smithy is close by at Bealach and Pein Feannaig [possibly Brenphort, Bealach and Peighinn Feannaig, all Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Sgeir an Trithinn = Sgeir of the Trinity. There are three humps on this rock in the sea'.
Scope and Contents Note about the situation of Leaideag [Leideag] describing it as 'taobh Orasay dheth an Bhadh at Castlebay' [Beside Orasay off the bay at Castlebay]. [Leideag, Orasaigh, Bàgh a' Chaisteil, all Barraigh/Isle of Barra].
Scope and Contents Note about the traditional extent of Loch Fyne that Airdmarnock is on the east side of the loch, which goes all the way up to Inv[eraray]. Also notes 'Linne-ghlas fr[om] Ru[bha] na h-airde Mhic Laomain to L[och] Fine from that Bun Loch Gilp to head of [-]. Barramore is Stonefield Loch fine.' [Loch Fìne/Loch Fyne, Àird-màrnag/Ardmarnock, Inbhir Aora/Inveraray, Linne Ghlas/Firth of Clyde, Àird Mhic Laomainn/Ardlamont, Loch Gilb/ Loch Gilp, Barmore/Stonefield, all Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]
Dates: June 1887
Scope and Contents Note about the two places called Fionnar, that one is Fionnar Bheag, where the manse is and the other is Fionnar Mhor, which is between Fionnar Bheag and Samhaire [Dùn Fionnàiridh, Fionnàiridh/Fiunary, Savary, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] 'the river Salachan is between Kiliundain & Glebe' [Killundine].
Dates: October 1892
Scope and Contents Note about the verse 'Rann Liadail' collected from Hector MacIosaig [Hector MacIsaac], Kean Langabhat, Iochdar [Ceann Langabhat, Ìochdar, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The verse is said to have been composed by 'The Cailleach of Liadail' [Liathdail] who was said to have been 100 years old when she composed the verse. Several placenames are mentioned including Loch a' Cheann Dughain at Howbeag [Tobha Beag/Howbeg]; the river Ionnair Mòr flowing from Coire Ruevail on Teacal into Loch Druidibig [An...
Dates: 5 April 1872
Scope and Contents Note about wells and a rock connected with St Cyril [Curalan], listing the wells as Tobar nan Sùl, Tobar na Glùn, Tobar Churalainn and Tobar nan Cìoch and the rock as Clach an Droma [Tobar an Sùl, Tobar a' Ghlùin, Tobar Churalain, all Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. People would leave a halfpenny or a shell at Tobar Churalainn.
Scope and Contents Note and story which reads 'Sloc Bran in Cairnaborg mor [Slochd Bran, Cairn na Burgh Mòr] Forts in both. Dùn Chruit in Lunga - a man fell down in search of gull eggs.'
Dates: August 1886
Note differentiating between Appin in Argyllshire and Appin in Perthshire and accompanying rhyme, August 1883
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Christina Campbell née Macintyre, Lios Mòr/Lismore Earra, Ghàidheal/Argyllshire differentiating between Appin in Argyllshire [An Apainn, Earra Ghàidheal] and Appin in Perthshire [Apainn nam Mèinnearach/Appin of Dull, Siorrachd Peairt]. The accompanying rhyme, a sheiling rhyme, includes other places in those counties such as Coire bhacai and Coire bhuiri [Coire Bhachdaidh and Coire Bhùirich]. Also a vocabulary note that 'ruithe' [ruighe] means the same as 'airi[dh]'...
Dates: August 1883
Scope and Contents Note entitled 'Iona Names' containing scholarly suggestions for the origins of the name 'Iona' citing Irish, Hebrew, Greek and Latin as possible origins and noting that Norse writers call the island 'Insula Sancta Holy Island'. The note continues that 'Sodora' was the name for the village on Iona in old times and that no women were allowed to be buried near 'the Great church' as late as 1693. Note concludes 'M[anu]s[cript] writer unknown'.